On 29 September 1902, a Cantonese congregation was formally inaugurated as part of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore and sharing premises at the then St. Peter’s Church in Stamford Road with other local dialect congregations. The first catechist in charge was Mr. Ho Man Lum who served until 1911 before other catechists took over. The Cantonese congregation continued to hold its services at Stamford Road until 1929. In September 1929 the Cantonese Congregation took over for her own use an old vacant building at Neil Road which had previously been used as a church by British seamen and prison wardens. The congregation was then given the name “St. Matthew’s Church”. Even during the Japanese Occupation the church somehow managed to continue functioning albeit only partially.

The 1950’s was an eventful decade. During this period, the vicarage was built and St. Matthew’s Kindergarten was started eventually becoming one of the largest and well-known in Singapore at that time. As the Kindergarten expanded, a Memorial Hall with classrooms and office rooms were added.

In 1960, St. Matthew’s Church planted another congregation now known as the Church of the Good Shepherd in Queenstown. In that year, it was also decided to demolish the old structure and erect a new church building. The new church building which was considered a structure of modern architecture at that time with its distinctive roof and bell tower was completed and formally dedicated in 1963 by the then Bishop of Singapore, the Rt. Rev C.K. Sausbury. In the same year too, an English-speaking service was started with Dr. Alan Cole as its first Pastor.

The year 1996 was a tumultuous period for St. Matthew’s Church. The church building and land was gazetted for compulsory acquisition by the governing authorities due to the Mass Rapid Transit development of the Northeast line. In view of this, it was felt necessary to close down the Kindergarten. Then began the search for a new plot of land for the construction of a new church building.

While the search was going on, there was some internal re-structuring to meet the new challenges. Firstly, the historic Cantonese-speaking congregation was transferred to come under the pastoral care of St. Andrew’s Cathedral at St. Andrew’s Road at the beginning of 1998. Secondly, a Mandarin-speaking congregation was started in its place. Thirdly, both the Mandarin-speaking congregation and the English-speaking congregation became self-governing with each congregation having its own constitutions and governing councils but operating within the St. Matthew’s Church Parish.  

Fundraising efforts were stepped up in anticipation of the cost of obtaining a new plot of land and having to build a new building.

By the year 2000, a plot of land was obtained at Eng Hoon Street and construction began in earnest in September 2003. The new church building at Eng Hoon Street was completed in January 2005. St. Matthew’s Church Parish with both congregations moved to the new building in March 2005. The new church building was then consecrated by the Archbishop John Chew on 7 May 2006.